- No products in the cart.
InstantNotes – the end of text note chaos
You have a lot of plaintext note files lying around? You use a mobile app which uses text files via dropbox? Want your notes synced to other desktops or mobile?
Manage them with InstantNotes, your new notes headquarter.
The Idea – The Demand
I’m a filmmaker and have lot’s of plaintext files with notes of any kind and I can only imagine who else uses text files to quickly write down infos and notes and saves them all to some folder, but this method lacks sufficient file management and syncronization over to other computers or even to mobile.
With so many highly sophisticated notes/journey/jotter applications out there it was still hard to find an application (and mobile app) which suits my requirements for taking plain-text-notes and managing them.
Some of the Note-taking applications had some interresing features like tags or groups or a fast search, but none of them had all of them in a propper way I would like.
The hardest part of choosing the right note-management app was to NOT have too many features which renders the interface cluttered with unnessecarry functions that includes too many things into a note, which then makes the apps notoriously slow.
Plaint-Text Note usage
Personally I use InstantNotes for many things. Actually for any textual information that is not a checklist.
Examples are: quotes from books, quotes from people, jokes, short stories, as personal diary, as project diary, for remembering terms, for motivational text sniplets, personal top 10 lists, as more specific contact- or client book, for notes about my projects, all kinds of triavia, for technical informations, to remember settings for devices like TVs, or program settings, travel information, travel diary, tips & tricks, lifehacker informations, gift ideas, health information, receipts, coctail receipts, wishlists, all kind of statistics, etc. etc.
The list could go on forever, basically InstantNotes can be used for any kind of text information and you can put any plaintext (.txt) file in it’s base folder and you will find your information.
Notes Management Functionality
See InstantNotes as a text-editor with enhanced file manangement and text-search on stereoids. The main focus of the app is to find your infos in your text files fast in multiple ways to make it convenient for you to work with your text-note collection.
You can create, write, save and delete notes and folders, like a usual file-manager would do.
The search function is the heart of InstantNotes. You type your search term in the search input box and the application instantly start searching for the text and displays matching results in the result listview. You can search for simple text or use #hashtags you prevously used in your notes.
The results in the list show the first few characters matching your search-terms. Doubleclicking an entry shows the note and can now be edited. When there is only one result, the resulting note is instantly opened without the need to click it, just by typing your search words in the input field – even without the need to press enter!
InstantNotes has a very small memory footprint but is very fast searching hundreds of notes in a fraction of a second. The application and the text-notes files can be located everywhere – on a Harddisk or USB Drive (as portable app), even on a network drive. Although it is recommended that the base folder containing the notes-files should be located on a fast local harddrive or SDD for best search performance.
If you use the app “Notes for Android” and have Dropbox installed on your desktop, InstantNotes finds the folder with the notes and defines it as the Base folder and activates synchronization.
While InstantNotes can be used offline, Dropbox or any other file synchronization service can be used to synchronize the notes. InstantNotes check for file changes when synchronization is enabled via the app’s s settings.
The Status bar at the bottom of the application windows displays currently used Notes-RAM, the creation- and modification-dates from the note and the currenty shown folder called “Notebook”.
A Desktop application is only as good as it’s mobile counterpart. After searching and testing note taking apps for mobile and for the desktop for a long time I found “Notes for Android” as the perfect mobile app for plain-text-notes management. It seems so perfect that I just built my desktop app InstantNotes for it. It has nearly the same functions set and I added a few usefull informational convenience features to make it even more usefull as a productivity app.
InstantNotes for Everybody
What worth are your notes if you’re unable to find them, when you have to click a thousand times until a note is open.
If you need your informations, you need them instantly. Nobody can remember everything, but you have to know where to search – and how to search.
InstantNotes is here to help, to manage your thoughts, the simpliest and fastest way possible.
If you have any feature request, please feel free and write them in the comments or leave me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, but take a look at our trello support board – maybe it’s a feature which is already in the pipeline.
Get InstantNotes current price at our WebShop below:
- Note management for text note files (.txt)
- Notes can be in unlimited number of folders and subfolders (Notebooks) within the defined Base-Folder (Base folder can be changed to any folder)
- Unlimited number of folders and notes
- InstantNotes supports #hashtags to tag notes
- InstantNotes collects all #hashtags from all notes and lists them in the Tag-Panel for faster access to notes
- quick access #hashtag panel
- quick access Notebooks (folders) panel
- instant search notes (finds text from notes and notes while typing in search field
- Full-text search
- Search Modis: Phrase/OR/AND
- #tags search
- simple text note editor
- search text in displayed text-note
- instant single found note display (instant-searched note is displayed immediately when the only search result)
- automatic file- and folder change check for use with online sync via dropbox
- automatically finds “Notes for Android” Dropbox app folder and sets base folder to it
- Portable Windows app (no installation needed)
- clean and modern interface for fast interaction
- Shortcut keys for most needed functions
- saves setting in prefs.ini file in application folder
- Text Notes can also be completely offline without any online syncing
Installation & Usage
- Extract the ZIP file to any place you want (preferable to “Program Files” on C:), but a USB stick for portable use is also ok
- Start the InstantNotes application
- If InstantNotes finds a Dropbox installation it tries to find the notes folder from the Android App “Notes for Android” and uses it as base folder.
- If you don’t use a app like “Notes for Android”, InstantNotes can still use Dropbox to automatically sync notes
- WinXP or higher (Win7, Vista, Win10) x86 (32bit) / x64 (64bit)
- minimum 512MB free RAM
- minimum 512MB free SSD or HDD space
- minumum resolution 1024×768
INFO: InstantNotes actually needs much less than the minimum requirements. The application itself needs only about 40MB RAM and less than 800KB disk space (thats 0.8MB).
Because text-notes do not need much space (apx. 400KB for 400 notes), the application is very resource friendly and runs even on low powered machines.
Please report bugs to email@example.com.
– initial version
– NEW FEATURE: Phrase/AND/OR search logic
– Dropbox sync-auto-check
– Updated Tags-List behavior
– and a lot more “under the hood” changes and improvements
FALSE VIRUS INFO: InstantNotes is written in AutoIt, which was originally an automation scripting software, but evolved in a full fledged programming language with gui’s and more, but some virus-checkers identify compiled AutoIt programs as a virus, which is not true – just check it again with some other online virus checker to be sure.
Follow our Bug and Feature Board on Trello
Please file any bug reports to firstname.lastname@example.org !