InstantNotes – Information Management Software for Everybody
InstantNotes is a plain-text editor which manages your text informations stored in plain-text files.
The application features file-sync via Dropbox, lightning fast full-text search with advanced search logics like AND/OR/Exact and filters out #hashtags for faster access. Notes can be displayed in pop-up windows which can be saved in popup-groups for better research on your topics.
You have a lot of plain-text note files floating around on your computer? You use a mobile app which uses text files via dropbox? Want your notes synced to other desktops or mobile?
Manage them with InstantNotes, your new text-notes information headquarter.
plain-text file management
File-Sync via Dropbox
Lightning Fast Full-Text Search
Search with #Hashtags, Note-Groups, Quicklist
The Idea – The Demand
Many productive and creative people have a problem in common – they are chaotic.
InstantNotes is an application that can not cure this behaviour, but it can at least help manage your informations. Written stuff in plain-text files that are floating around on your computers are found in an instant!
How? Find out below!
With so many highly sophisticated notes/journey/jotter applications out there it was still hard to find an application (and mobile app) which suits the requirements for taking plain-text notes and managing them.
Who uses InstantNotes?
Examples uses for InstantNotes:
Student Notes, Book Notes, Jokes Collections, Medical Notes, Personal Notes, Personal Diary, Work Notes, Shoping Lists, Computer Settings, TV Settings, Health Infos, Nutrition Infos, Cooking Recipes, quotes from books, quotes from people, jokes, short stories, as personal diary, as project diary, for remembering terms, for motivational text sniplets, personal top 10 lists, as more specific contact- or client book, for notes about my projects, all kinds of triavia, for technical informations, to remember settings for devices like TVs, or program settings, travel information, travel diary, tips & tricks, lifehacker informations, gift ideas, health information, receipts, coctail receipts, wishlists, all kind of statistics, etc. etc. etc.
The list could go on forever, basically InstantNotes can be used for any kind of text information. Just put all of your plaintext (.txt) files in it’s base folder and you will find your information.
Notes Management Functionality
See InstantNotes as a text-editor with enhanced file manangement and text-search on stereoids. The main focus of the app is to find your infos in your text files fast in multiple ways to make it convenient for you to work with your text-note collection.
You can create, write, save and delete notes and folders, like a usual file-manager would do.
The search function is the heart of InstantNotes. You type your search term in the search input box and the application instantly start searching for the text and displays matching results in the result listview. You can search for simple text or use #hashtags you prevously used in your notes.
The results in the list show the first few characters matching your search-terms. Doubleclicking an entry shows the note and can now be edited. When there is only one result, the resulting note is instantly opened without the need to click it, just by typing your search words in the input field – even without the need to press enter!
Notes can be search via #hashtags and groups of popup notes can be defined for quick acces of most used text-file notes.
InstantNotes has a very small memory footprint but is very fast searching hundreds of notes in a fraction of a second. The application and the text-notes files can be located everywhere – on a Harddisk or USB Drive (as portable app), even on a network drive. Although it is recommended that the base folder containing the notes-files should be located on a fast local harddrive or SDD for best search performance.
The base folder defined in InstantNotes containing all the plaintext files is generally on your desktop computer, on a local harddisk. But the folder can also be on a network drive, a network path.
You can synchronize your files with your favorite file-sync tools like Dropbox and InstantNotes automatically checks for file changes if “AutoSync” is enabled via InstantNotes settings.
If you use the app Notes for Android and have Dropbox installed on your desktop, InstantNotes finds the folder with the notes and defines it as the Base folder and activates synchronization.
While InstantNotes can be used offline, Dropbox or any other file synchronization service can be used to synchronize the notes. InstantNotes check for file changes when synchronization is enabled via the app’s s settings.
The Status bar at the bottom of the application windows displays currently used Notes-RAM, the creation- and modification-dates from the note and the currenty shown folder called “Notebook”.
A Desktop application is only as good as it’s mobile counterpart. After searching and testing note taking apps for mobile and for the desktop for a long time I found “Notes for Android” as the perfect mobile app for plain-text-notes management. It seems so perfect that I just built my desktop app InstantNotes for it. It has nearly the same functions set and I added a few usefull informational convenience features to make it even more usefull as a productivity app.
InstantNotes for Everybody
What worth are your notes if you’re unable to find them, when you have to click a thousand times until a note is open.
If you need your informations, you need them instantly. Nobody can remember everything, but you have to know where to search – and how to search.
InstantNotes is here to help, to manage your thoughts, the simpliest and fastest way possible.
If you have any feature request, please feel free and write them in the comments or leave me a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or take a look at our trello support board – maybe it’s a feature which is already in the pipeline.
- File manager for plaintext (.txt) notes-files
- Notes can be in unlimited number of folders and subfolders (Notebooks) within the defined Base-Folder (Base folder can be changed to any folder)
- Unlimited number of folders and notes
- InstantNotes supports #hashtags for notes
- InstantNotes collects all #hashtags from all notes and lists them in the Tag-Panel
- Quick access #hashtag panel
- UTF-8 Support
- NEW: Clickable HTML-links in Note Editor
- NEW: Clickable Wiki-links to other Text Notes
- NEW: Clickable File-links in Text Notes – load any file with single click
- NEW: Auto generates filename for new notes from words of first line in note
- Quick access Notebooks (folders) panel
- Instant search notes (finds text from notes and notes while typing in search field
- Full-text search
- Search Logics: Phrase, AND, OR
- #hashtag search: click on any #hashtag so search other notes with same #hashtag
- Simple text note editor
- Search text in displayed text-note
- NEW: History-List of last 25 viewed notes
- Instant single found note display (instant-searched note is displayed immediately if the only search result)
- Automatic file- and folder change check for use with online sync via dropbox
- Automatically finds “Notes for Android” Dropbox app folder and sets base folder to it
- Portable Windows app (no installation needed)
- Clean and modern interface for fast interaction
- Shortcut keys for most needed functions
- Saves setting in prefs.ini file in application folder
- Text Notes are stored on local drive
Get InstantNotes from our WebShop below:
Don’t forget to check our Newsletter for special discounts.
Installation & Usage
- Extract the ZIP file to any place you want (preferable to “Program Files” on C:), but a USB stick for portable use is also ok
- Start the InstantNotes application
- If InstantNotes finds a Dropbox installation it tries to find the notes folder from the Android App “Notes for Android” and uses it as base folder.
- If you don’t use a app like “Notes for Android”, InstantNotes can still use Dropbox to automatically sync notes
- WinXP or higher (Win7, Vista, Win10) x86 (32bit) / x64 (64bit)
- minimum 512MB free RAM
- minimum 512MB free SSD or HDD space
- minumum resolution 1024×768
INFO: InstantNotes actually needs much less than the minimum requirements. The application itself needs only about 40MB RAM and less than 2MB disk space.
Because text-notes do not need much space (apx. 400KB for 400 notes), the application is very resource friendly and runs even on low powered machines.
Please report bugs to email@example.com.
– initial version
– NEW FEATURE: Phrase/AND/OR search logic
– Dropbox sync-auto-check
– Updated Tags-List behavior
– and a lot more “under the hood” changes and improvements
– NEW FEATURE: Wiki Links like wiki:[Folder\NoteFile.txt] – NEW FEATURE: automatic Wiki-Link generator (Button “Get Wiki-Link”)
– NEW FEATURE: Clickable http:// and https:// links
– NEW FEATURE: Clickable File-Links like file:[Folder\NoteFile.jpg] – NEW FEATURE: Clickable #hashtags in notes
– NEW FEATURE: History-List of last 25 viewed notes
– NEW FEATURE: Insert Note-Date
– NEW FEATURE: Auto generates filename for new notes from words of first line in note
– IMPROVED: Note cursor position or selection is kept while switching to edit note
Follow our Bug and Feature Board on Trello
Please file any bug reports to firstname.lastname@example.org !